Bahadur Shah Park is formally known as Victoria Park. It is located at Laksmibazar in Old Dhaka. On 17 February 1885, The memory of Khwaja Nawab Sir Salimullah’s eldest son Nawabzada Khwaja Hafizullah, a monument was set up in front of present Jagannath University and the park at that time was named Victoria Park. In 1956 Nawab Khan Bahadur changed his name to Victoria Park, and 1957, the park was renamed Bahadur Shah Park.
At that time many Armenians lived in the adjacent areas of that club. During the sepoy revolt of 1857, Victoria Park gained a special identity. Here a few rebels, including a woman, are hanged. In 1858, the Divisional Commissioner of Dhaka read out the famous announcement of Queen Victoria at a gathering of a large number of people.
Bahadur Shah Park stands tall with a memorial of revolutionaries of the historic Soldier rebellion. The park is witness to the history of oppression of the English, the brutality of the English rulers and the time of self-sacrifice of the freedom fighters. Bahadur Shah Park is surrounded by oval and iron railings. There are two major gates in the east and west. Inside the railway there is a paved road on the side of the railing. The park is situated in the head of Laksmibazar, one of the main river ports of Dhaka, in Sadarghat area.
To protect the immortal memory of patriots who sacrificed their life for freedom, a huge square monument was constructed in 1957 in Bahadur Shah Park. The Soldier Rebellion was held to end the British rule and to restore the Mughal emperor Bahadur Shah. That’s why the park was renamed to Bahadur Shah Park. The square monument stands still in the park.
Among the things seen in Bahadur Shah Park is the memorial monument built in memory of Nawabzada Khwaja Hafizullah. Memorial monument built in memory of Khwaja Hafizullah Fountains made by Dhaka City Corporation. The shadow surroundings of Bahadur Shah Park, surrounded by beautiful surroundings.