There’s definitely something romantic about long, cross-country road trip: you can stop anytime to enjoy the sights, small towns with cozy cafes and back roads. However, taking a road trip can be a real adventure. It can also become very expensive if not planned properly. So, be smart and learn how to make your vacation unforgettable by following the tips I’m going to describe below.
1. Don’t travel alone. At first, it may seem like a great idea, but in the long run you will realize that you need a company. Firstly, because you’ll be able to share the best moments of the trip, your experience, you won’t be bored and what’s more – you’ll be able to save money on fuel, nutrition and lodging. So, just bring a couple of friends along with you and your trip will be at least not boring :).
2. Prepare your car. When taking a road trip, there are two options: you can use your own vehicle or rent a car. When deciding on the latter option, make sure you’re selecting the optimal car for your particular case. If your trip is going to be a long, cross-country travel, your car’s dimensions and fuel-efficiency will matter a lot. So, before renting a car, compare car dimensions (as well as fuel efficiency, fuel tank size and trunk capacity) by visiting one of the specialized websites, like http://cararac.com/dimensions/ for example.
In case you’re going to use your own car, make sure it’s fully serviced before you leave. You may ask your mechanic for a diagnostic check to see any potential problems you should be aware of. Remember to take your car tools with you. Check your spare tire.
3. Make a list of the essential items. Pack an emergency kit and keep it in an easily accessible location. Distribute your suitcases evenly in the cargo area – this will help you balance your car better.
4. Make a rough plan of your trip. But don’t get me wrong :). You don’t necessarily have to plan your trip to minutes – just make up a list of places to visit. This will certainly help you limit some expenses. Maps. Even if you have a smartphone supporting GPS functionality, and you have a separate GPS in your car, it never hurts to purchase a map. You’ll cut costs on fuel if you’re not driving around aimlessly :).
5. Pick the perfect song playlist for your travel. A good, well thought-out playlist will make any trip more enjoyable.
6. Stock up on rich snacks: chocolate bars, nuts and other products. Plenty of water and healthy snacks are very important if you’re going to spend most of your trip in the car. Try to consume less junk food.
Surely, you can book a flight, hop on a plane and be a hundred miles away in a split second. But the truly adventurous experience can be obtained only through an engaging, unpredictable road trip, to my mind :). Bon voyage!
Robert Davis is a car lover, traveler and blogger. He runs a technology-related blog TechEden.net. Feel free to contact Robert anytime – he likes making new friends :).