Ahsan Manzil Palace was the official residential palace and seat of the Nawab of Dhaka. The palace is situated at Kumartoli along the banks of the Buriganga River in Dhaka. Recently it has been turned into a museum. Now it is most favorite for Bangladeshi and foreign tourist. It is a historical place for Bangladesh.
Ahsan Manzil Palace History
In the Mughal period, Sheikh Enayet Ulla (landlord of Jamalpur porgona) built a beautiful palace and named it “Rangmahal”.He was so charming person and used to entertain here collect some beautiful girls from abroad with the gorgeous dress and expensive ornaments. The construction of the palace was begun in 1859 and completed in 1872. It was constructed by Indo-Saracenic Revival architecture. It has been designated like as Ahsan Manzil national museum.
The period of Nawab Alibardi Khan around 1740 century, Sheikh Moti Ullah, son of Sheikh Enayet Ullah, sold the Assets to the French Business holders. There was a French trading house besides these assets. The trading house became wealthier after buying these assets. In that time, French business holders could do business here without taxes by a decree from the emperor Awrangajeb. In that time, the French became very potted by doing business here in antagonism with English, European and other companies. They made a big palace and dug a big pond for sweet water in newly bought assets. The pond still subsists in the compound of Ahsan Manjil that’s called “Les Jolla” in that time. In the English-French war, French got vanquished and all their assets were received from the English. On 22 June 1757, the French left the trading house with a fleet of 35 boats from the river station of Buriganga.
Description of Ahsan Manzil Palace
Ahsan Manzil Palace is one of the greatest architectural monuments of Bangladesh. It is established on a moving platform of 1 meter and two-storied palace measures 125 meters by 29 meters approximately. The ground floor height is 5 meters and that of the first-floor height 5.8 meters.
There are porticos of the height of the ground floor, both on the southern and northern sides of the palace. An open broad stairway has disassembled from the southern portico, diffused up to the bank of the river with the front garden. There was once a squirt in the garden in front of the stage, though it does not exist today. The broad north and south verandas of both the floors rest on halves circular arches. The floor is covered with marble.
There are an attractive wooden stage in the room and attached to the north of the room covered with the dome. The balusters were decorated with vine leaves made of iron along the railing of the stages. The wooden ceiling room, decorated with geometrical designs is very elegant. Visitor’s book bound in gold used to be put by the stages during the quiet days of the nawabs. Eminent visitors to the palace would note down there watching in it.
Recognizing the historical and architectural importance of the Ahsan Manzil palace by the government of Bangladesh took the significant to renovate it. In 1985, Ahsan Manzil palace and its environment were acquired. After the completion of renewal work in 1992 under the convoy of the Directorate of Public Works and Architecture, it arrived under the control of Bangladesh National Museum. A museum has been established there.